Sunday, October 26, 2008

Multitask!

Have you ever noticed how many things you do at the same time? I read the article Multitasking can make you lose...um...focus from the IHT. I have to tell you that while I was reading this article, I was listening to music (In English of course). I also was chatting with some friends, checking frequently Facebook and texting messages to others friends in Honduras. I can bet you that you are doing about the same. This is the main point of the article because nowadays must people have to be doing more than one thing at the same time and this is not only in their free time but also in the work or doing homework. The author talks about different scientific point of views about what happens in our brains when we are multitasking. Many doctors say that we lose the focus when we shift quickly between activities. Sometimes this is not dangerous but others it could be. For example driving and texting messages at the same time. I have to confess that I used to do that and you really lose the concentration in what you have to be doing. I stopped to do that one day that I almost had an accident, then I used to leave my cellphone in the back seat of my car to avoid the temptation. Another problem trying to multitask is that you do that things slower. For instance at the time that I am writing this post I have received 4 email, and I have to check them in the moment so I lose my point and I waste time. I really liked this article because made me think about something that I do unconsciousness.  I would like to know more about this topic, maybe I'm gonna read more articles about it... but first I need to answer those emails.

3 comments:

Abdu said...

It is an interesting article Daglys. My father used to say, sorry for the expression, "The only thing which can do two things at the same time is the "dog", bark and swing its tail". I think it is better to concentrate on one job rather than switching between different tasks. Multitasking is a common term in computer science. However, unless your computer has two or more processors, the processor is not really doing two things simultaneously but rather switching between them.

Unknown said...

Interesting topic.
I agree and I have to tell you that I do the same. But If think we have to blame most the Internet. Internet allows you to be connected with everybody, everytime, even if you don't need to see your 4 emails when you are doing your homework.
A study in Europe showed that the effective work of workers became lower because of the Internet.
Everybody has the temptation to check emails, facebook, newspaper....to be distracted.
When I am in a hurry for my homework, I close every INternet windows to avoid the temptation....but I am not sure it worked well.... it took me 6 hours to be done with my economics homework.

nguyen said...

i do agree with you about this article. However, because of the development of technology, it allows people to do more than one task at a time. Moreover, nowadays, people seem don;t have enough time to do what they want to do, so that should be another reason. This is really interesting.