Sunday, October 5, 2008

Have you ever thought about your computer??

When I bought a computer I really don't have idea what I am going to do with the old one. I've had three computers. I gave the second one to my brother, and the second one is in my house as an antique product because it was old. All these thoughts came to my mind when I read the article How green is your computer? by Azadeh Ensha. In this article Ensha explains three different points of view that we have to consider about our computer and its relation with the environment. First of all, Ensha argues that we have to turn off the computer as a way to save energy, and the best way to do it is configure our energy-saving preferences to turn off the elements that are inactive in a shorter time. The second point and I think is his/her main point is the factors that you to consider when you are going to buy a new computer. And finally, Ensha describes the different efforts made for the companies to recycle the components of the computers. I agree with that article because we have to think in our environment, and how can we generate less waste. For example, when I decided to buy my new laptop, I checked the energy performance and actually I bought a laptop with a excellent performance.

6 comments:

chianew said...

From your post, I think I got a point is that we have to save the energy and protect our earth. So we can not waste eithor electricity or our old laptop.
If the computer companies are willing to recycle the old computer it is a good way to save our earth.

Alyssa R. said...

This is a really interesting article. I want a new computer but I'm concerned about what to do with my old computer...will it just end up in a landfill?

A few months ago I watched this video about consumption. If you have time, watch it. It's 20 minutes long, but I think it's really interesting.

http://www.storyofstuff.com/

Melanie said...

http://laptopheaven.com/estimator/index.php

Here is a link where you can register your old fashion computer and this company buy it for few dollars.

I don't really know what they do with all these old computers but I suppose that they reuse some components.

nguyen said...

i like this article. However, i like Melanie comment more. Why don you think about donating your old computer. It's easy and helpful, no doubt about it. Why Alyssa has to concern about her old computer? register and sell it for few dollars and then buy some cookies for your TOPIC OF MEDIA class. I'm waiting for you respond Alyssa.

Alyssa R. said...

Buy cookies for the class?

Well, by the time I sell my computer (I won't do it until next year), I hope that you will be in a different class! Not that I don't like having you for a student, but I think you will graduate before I sell my computer!

Maybe you should bring in some cookies!

nguyen said...

well, i consider your respond as a really fantastic excuse. I really want to stay and study with you next year. However, i concern if i do that just to taste your cookies, DO YOU THINK THAT YOUR COOKIES COST TOO MUCH ?( by the way, i consider to be here next year to study with you, not for cookies. How about this?)