Sunday, October 19, 2008

The story of stuff

I just watched the video The story of stuff by Annie Leonard. In this video, she talks about the different steps of the lives in the products and how every step affects our environment. She also explains about the consumerist American society and how they behave. I've always thought that american people is the best example of consumerism and since I'm here I know that it is truth. I think that is part of the environment here in the US because when I was in my country I really didn't buy many things but since I came to the US I have bought a lot of things. For example, I had an Ipod nano from the first generation, and it was working really well, but when Apple released the new generation I thought that I had to get one of this. There are a few changes between them, but the main function is the same. After bought it, I thought I made a wrong decision, also I thought that I was a product of the capitalist system. I think that this video make me think about that and I'll try to not buy things that I know that I don't need. I also think that there is a clear relation between the production of goods and global warming. As Annie says, producing all those things generates a lot of pollution, also it consumes a lot of natural resources.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post Daglys!
You know what? the best is to be able to see that, to have the wise to think about it!
The Ipod is a really good example. I am totally sure that didn't need to get the second generation because the first one was still working! But you did!
That is interesting the strong power that commercials can make on our behavior.
I don't really feel a huge difference as in France, because we consume almost the same I think. But i was really surprised to see the conditionning of the food here, In this case it is different from France.
But you know when you come from a foreign country, it is almost inevitable to behave as the same as the native. Maybe the exictment that it brings!

chianew said...

How about give me your first ipod...ha ha ha ha!!!
I think it is ok that sometimes we buy something we do not really need.
However, from your opinion, it looks like the U.S. people always buy new stuff. I am not really sure about that, but I can tell you, every time when I watch the TV channel which is selling stuff, I am always attracted by that show. I really want to but their goods. I have to say that their commercials are pretty good pretty attractive.

nguyen said...

In my country, people don;t buy think like Americans because my country is not rich and average person's income is just enough to buy necessary stuff.