Sunday, September 28, 2008

Response to Food for Thought

I just read the article Food for Thought. This article is about the analyst Chris Fair and about his thesis that the food could describe the behavior and the international policy of one country. Fair says that one example is what people in one country consider as fast food. Fair explains that through the food it is possible to describe the relation between countries even if they will be allies or enemies. I think that this is not possible because the food is not the only element that determines the culture of one country. There are many others factors that can affect the relations between two countries. For example religion is one element that has been cause of many wars throughout the history of the human being. The most interesting question in the interview was the question about the “traditional” food of the US. It was interesting to me because Fair explained what, for him, is the food that American people grow up with. 

4 comments:

Alyssa R. said...

Before you came to the US, what did you think the most "traditional" food here was? Have you found this to be true? How did your expectations compare to Fair?

Daglys said...

I wasn't sure about the traditional food here in the US. For example, I thought that hamburger, hot dog, and french fries are dishes that the people here enjoy eating. In the article Fair describes others kind of food like biscuits, gravy (with mashed potato I think). I've been here almost 4 months and I'm living in a residence hall where in every meal you can find hamburgers and french fries, also every other day they serve hot dogs and people like this kind of food so I think that this is the traditional food.

chianew said...

I think the traditional snack of the U.S. is "popcorn". Because I used to live inthe dorm of University of St. Thomas, there were alway full of popcorn's smell around the hell.

And, the movie theaters support popcorn ( and usually it is more expensive than the ticket....haha), and people eat popcorn when they are watching the baseball game. It is not so difficult to see people eat popcorn in the United States.

As I know, however, there are not so common that the students eat popcorn in the dorm...... We have something special, hahahaha...

Alyssa R. said...

I think Chia might be on to something with popcorn. I'm American and I LOVE it!

Definitely, I think hamburgers and french fries are a national food. But, one thing that goes with hamburgers in our culture is the act of grilling out in summer. I think that's a ritual that many Americans enjoy.

A traditional regional food that is popular in Minnesota is "hot dish" or sometimes called "casserole". It's hard for me to describe...looks like I might have to cook for this class!!